There are certain fundamental attributes effective executive team possess. You will find eleven of these listed below. Are there any of these that deserve a closer review and could potentially be integrated into your executive team's operating practices?
1. An executive team purpose developed and agreed by the whole team.
2. Executive team guidelines, developed by the team covering how they communicate with each other and acceptable executive behaviours.
3. Use of personal storytelling in executive team development programmes. This helps team members gain personal insights into how their colleagues tick.
4. Actively encouraging all to speak up, likely leading to greater levels of honesty in conversations and better quality decisions being made.
5. Emotional intelligence being regarded as a key executive attribute.
6. All evenly contributing to discussions.
7. Chief executive not being present in all executive team meetings, so their influence does not shape all decisions.
8. Remuneration structures having the effect of reducing self-interested behaviour.
9. Having an on-boarding programme for new executive team members so they understand formal and informal work practices, and more quickly build cross-functional working relationships.
10. A chief executive with a high level of self-awareness and emotional intelligence, in-tune with the dynamics of the team.
11. A thought through top team effectiveness programme that develops and embeds healthy top team dynamics. Tailored for the team, this can be deeper initially, through to lighter touch.
You might also enjoy these articles:
- May 31, 2017 Are You An Impostor At The Top?
- Apr 26, 2017 Is your mother in your executive team meetings?
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- Oct 27, 2016 The Psychological Impact Of Being A Chief Executive
- Sep 22, 2016 Expect More, Get More.
- Aug 25, 2016 "Boys Don't Cry"...but should CEOs?
- Jul 28, 2016 Fear of death: The curse of the executive in their twilight years
- Jul 1, 2016 How To Lead In Uncertain Times
- Jun 1, 2016 How You Deal With Anxiety In The Boardroom
- May 26, 2016 What's The Smell Of Your Organisation?
- Apr 28, 2016 The Attributes Of An Effective Executive Team
- Mar 24, 2016 The Fearless Executive
- Mar 17, 2016 How You Can Create The Environment For Top Team Performance To Thrive
- February 2016
- January 2016
- Dec 17, 2015 “My Heart Belongs To Daddy”
- Nov 26, 2015 How To Make Better Executive Team Decisions
- Oct 29, 2015 How To Tell If Your Executive Team Is Dysfunctional
- September 2015
- Aug 27, 2015 Why Executive Teams Can Sometimes Be Lazy
- Jul 30, 2015 How To Get Buy-In (And It's Not What You May Think)
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015